Visit the Bookshop!

Visit the Bookshop!
Browse through Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo chapter summaries and analyses in multiple eBook formats.

Search This Blog

Loading...

On Life in Dapitan

December 19, 1893

I shall tell you how we live here.  I have three houses: one square, another hexagonal, and a third octagonal, all of bamboo, wood, and nipa.  In the square house we live, my mother, sister Trinidad, a nephew and I; in the octagonal live my boys or some good youngsters whim I teach arithmetic, Spanish and English; and in the hexagonal live my chickens.  From my house I hear the murmur of a crystal, clear brook which comes from the high rocks; I see the seashore, the sea where I have small boats, two canoes or barotos, as they say here.  I have many fruit trees, mangoes, lanzones, guyabanos, baluno, nanka, etc.  I have rabbits, dogs, cats, etc. I rise early -- at five -- visit my plants, feed the chickens, awaken my people and put them in movement.  At half-past seven we breakfast with tea, pastries, cheese, sweetmeats, etc.  Later I treat my poor patients who come to my land; I dress, go to the town in my baroto, treat the people there, and return at 12, when my luncheon awaits me.  Then I teach the boys until 4 PM and devote the afternoon to agriculture.  I spend the night reading and studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *