Visit the Bookshop!

Visit the Bookshop!
Browse through Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo chapter summaries and analyses in multiple eBook formats.

Search This Blog

Loading...

On Rome

June 27, 1887

I am in Rome! Everything I step on is the dust of heroes.  Here I breathe the same air which the Roman heroes have breathed.  I salute every statue with reverence, and to me, a humble native of a small island, it seems that I am in a sanctuary.  I have already seen the Capitolium, the Tarpeian Rock, the Palatinum, the Forum Romanum, the Amphitheatre, etc.  Everything here is glorious except the cafes and the cafe singers.  I do not enter these [cafes] because I loathe to hear their French songs or see modern industries.  My favorite places are the Amphitheatre and the Roman Forum; there I remain seated for hours, contemplating everything and restoring life to the ruins... I have also visited some churches and museums, like the Capitoline Museum and the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore, which is also grandiose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *